[pulseaudio-discuss] Disabling monitor sources in Pulse

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Wed Jan 13 23:18:19 PST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 00:24 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > So in gnome-volume-control, I have changed my internal audio card from
> > "Analog Stereo Duplex" to "Analog Stereo Output", to force my USB
> > microphone to be the only USB microphone.
>
> You should be able to use g-v-c to select the usb mike as
> default. That will rewrite the entire database for all saved streams.

I would expect this to be exactly what happens, but it doesn't.

Both in my case, and in what I instructed my friend to do, is re-enable
the PCI microphone, and then use g-v-c to switch between the USB
microphone and PCI microphone.

No difference. The program still records on the monitor source.  To get
it to record off a real source, the actual recording stream for the
program had to be manually changed in pavucontrol.

> > But now all that happens is that my "Monitor of Internal Analog Stereo"
> > is now the default microphone for all applications, despite my selecting
> > of the USB microphone as the default.
>
> Uh, that is weird. Possibly because USB initialization is asynchronous
> these days it isnt right-away available when PA starts up?

Not only that, but whenever I boot up, there is a chance (dunno, maybe
50%?) that when I reboot my computer, and even if the USB microphone is
the only microphone that PA sees, it will still be unchecked in g-v-c,
and not set as a fallback device in pavucontrol.

You'd think that if there are no recording sources, and then when one
comes online, it'd be selected as the fallback automatically.