[pulseaudio-discuss] Need assistance debugging symptom of pacmd spinning during suspend-to-ram attempt

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 08:24:54 PST 2010

Hi,

For the latest stable-queue branch, at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/507941
there's a report of pacmd consuming 100% CPU when suspending-to-ram.
It seems to be triggered by running the pm-utils script at
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/pulseaudio/ubuntu/annotate/head%3A/debian/01PulseAudio
. Is there something blatantly incorrect in the use(s) of pacmd in
that script, or should we consider a pacmd regression?

(History of said pm-utils script: it's an attempt to mute all sinks
and sources prior to suspending so that speakers/headphones don't pop.
Upon resume the script attempts to restore the existing, i.e., prior
to suspend, user sink and source state. While I realize that the
popping on suspend is really a linux issue, and my patches to fix
those for several HDA codecs have landed in upstream alsa-driver, the
work is not complete.)

Any assistance debugging the symptoms is much appreciated.

Best,
-Dan