[pulseaudio-discuss] How to debug choppy audio in Totem & Mythtv

steve networks1 at cox.net
Tue Jan 26 10:01:17 PST 2010

Hello.  I am having a problem with severe "choppy" audio when playing back
recorded video on Totem and Mythtv.  On Mythtv when I play a recording for a
while the chopping stops then the sound gets out of sync, and rewinding
restores the sync and copping.  Mythtv log shows WriteAudio: buffer underrun
and repeated NVP(0): prebuffering pause errors.

This is a FC12 box with Intel mobo that has Realtek ALC889A sound hardware.
Mythtv is using ALSA:front for the output.  I don't know about Totem because
I don't see any way to configure the sound output.

Sound is fine when playing CDs on Rhythmbox.  Sound is also fine when I move
one of the .mpg fles to a windoze box and play it there.

Per suggestions I found in various posts I set
EXPERIMENTALLY_ALLOW_PULSE_AUDIO=1 in the environment variable so Mythtv
doesn't disable it.  Have also tried the various fixes/workarounds at
http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenris02/pulseaudio-fixes-and-workarounds
and http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup and undone them because they
didn't help.

My ALSA audio debug output is in this post at Mythtv users
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-January/279355.html  in case
that is helpful.

I have researched this a lot and tried a lot of fixes, and nothing seems to
be working.  I am kind of at the end or my rope, so I'm hoping one of you
audio wizards can suggest a fix or debugging approach.  Possibly this is not
a Pulseaudio problem, but even ruling that out would be very helpful.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve