[pulseaudio-discuss] Local and remote sink

samuel samuel at eightOnions.com
Sat Jan 30 09:57:23 PST 2010

Hi,

I have a little sound server, tarzanito, where mpd is playing.
Pulseaudio works fine there.
I have pulseaudio also on my laptop, which is also working fine.
When I put "default-server = tarzanito" into my client.conf, I can play
using the sound server connected to my stereo, if I leave it out, the
sound plays locally. Actually the perfect setup, it's exactly as I want
it...except that I don't want to change my config file each time I want
to switch. Actually I would like it to check if tarzanito is available,
if yes, use it, if not play locally. Also, suppose I would like to play
locally right now, I'd switch (but not changing the config file, but
with a quick command, a la pacmd or pactl...) preferrably using a
keyboard shortcut. (If I have pulseaudio set up, I'd know how to get
the shortcut)

My question: Do I have to add sinks for tarzanito and my local alsa,
and if yes, how exactly do I do that? I tried messing with the
default.pa script, but everytime I change something, it gets messed
up...
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

--
samuel