[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio jack issue

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Thu Jul 1 02:22:56 PDT 2010

hi all,

on my workstation, i am running pulseaudio with jack as backend. however, i
have some troubles with this setup. i have two audio devices on this
machine, the onboard audio chip of the soundcard and an rme hdsp
(pci+multiface).

when the multiface is not connected, the whole computer reacts very slowly.
like i click on a menu and it takes something like 10 seconds for the
dropdown menu to appear. i suppose, pulseaudio tries to start jack, but
doesn't succeed, because it cannot open the hdsp device ...

i am not sure, what is the best way to handle this use case, but it took me
quite some time to figure out, that the odd desktop behavior is related to
pulseaudio trying to launch jack ... maybe it is possible to switch the
pulseaudio backend to the null backend, if jack cannot be launched?

cheers, tim

tim at klingt.org
http://tim.klingt.org

Only very good and very bad programmers use goto in C