[pulseaudio-discuss] Changing default soundcard on attach/detach of soundcards

Jan Braun janbraun at gmx.de
Wed Jul 14 22:07:34 PDT 2010

Colin Guthrie schrob:
> 'Twas brillig, and Jeremy Nickurak at 16/06/10 16:04 did gyre and gimble:
> > Does pulseaudio perhaps need to be throwing some visual indication to
> > the user that streams switched devices as a result of a plug event,
> > maybe with a very simple pointer to where to go to fix things?
>
> I've got plans for that too.... even a git branch, but at present it's
> not overly easy as PA modules cannot integrate with the glib main loop
> too easily...

Huh? Sorry for possibly being dense, but

1. Shouldn't PA do only obvious things automatically, and not bug the
   user about obvious things? The proposition "PA automaticallly breaks
   stuff, so it needs to show the user how to unbreak it" seems flawed.
2. Isn't PA a daemon and thus can't interact with the user? Or did you
   mean "set a flag that pavucontrol etc. can read"? But then the user
   still would have to run pavucontrol on their own...

If you can't tell, I'm concerned about PA not staying out of my way.

regards,
    Jan