[pulseaudio-discuss] Assert error in pulsecore/resampler.c:trivial_resample

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 12:35:55 PDT 2010

2010/7/20 Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi>:
> On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 23:22 +0200, Maarten Bosmans wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> PulseAudio from git master crashes when I play a sound to a combined
>> sink of two 96000 Hz sinks. It does not happen if the slave sinks are
>> set to 48kHz. Playing directly two one of the slaves also works.
>>
> [snip]
>
> Now, is it somehow possible that the rate difference is actually that
> huge? I don't think so, unless there's a bug in module-combine.
>
> Could you check with gdb what are the values of r->i_ss.rate and
> r->o_ss.rate when the crash happens?

No, that's not it, they're both the same, 96000. (Attached is a
snippet of gdb output, in which the structure r is printed)

The source file (input stream for combined sink) is 44100 Hz, the
slave sinks are at 96000 Hz.
I tried specifying the samplerate for the combined sink. The lower the
rate of the combined sink, the smaller the chance of the crash
happening. For a rate < 40000 it seems to never crash. For about
42000-43000 it sometimes crashes, mostly after more than 30 seconds of
audio. For 44000-45000 it usually crashes after 1-2 seconds and for
higher samplerates it crashes every time after just a fraction of a
second.

What I further noticed is that the resampler for the stream from the
combined sinks to the slave alsa sinks is always PA_RESAMPLER_TRIVIAL.
Is that correct, even for a stream from, say, 41000 to 96000? I would
think that for such a case something like PA_RESAMPLER_SPEEX_FLOAT
would be necessary.

> --
> Tanu Kaskinen

Thanks for thinking along in debugging this,

Maarten