[pulseaudio-discuss] Changing default soundcard on attach/detach of soundcards

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 16:58:22 PDT 2010

> Why does the music move to the bluetooth headset in the final example?
> You seem to suggest that if the priority lists for music is as follows
> immediately before the BT headset is attached:
>
> 1. USB Speakers
> 2. USB Headset
> 3. Internal Audio
>
> But afterwards plugging in the BT Headset, it's not clear as to whether
> the list is:
>
> 1. USB Speakers
> 2. BT Headset
> 3. USB Headset
> 4. Internal Audio
>
> or
>
> 1. USB Speakers
> 2. USB Headset
> 3. BT Headset
> 4. Internal Audio
>
> Both lists would achieve the result you describe as the USB Headset is
> not currently plugged in. I presume you mean the first example, in which
> case I'd infer your logic for picking the insertion point of the new
> device as being "immediately after the highest priority available
> device". This would thus cause no immediate change, but certainly
> ensures that it messes up any careful configuration the user does.

What I would like

Music Streams have a  user set rule of always go to USB Speakers, if
the USB speakers not pugged in then follow the priority list.

Priority list is the order in which I plugged devices in.. (this is
local machine devices only)

 - Bluetooth headset
 - USB headset
 - USB speakers
 - Internal

If a device is removed it should be removed from the priority list, so
unplugging the USB headset gives

 - Bluetooth headset
 - USB speakers
 - Internal

Plugging USB headset back in gives

 - USB headset
 - Bluetooth
 - USB speakers
 - Internal

Devices which have a preferred device set should always use that
device if available, else fall back to following the priority list

I don't consider this magic from the point of view of the user.. its
fairly simple sound moves to the device I just plugged in unless I've
set up configuration to tell it not to

I don't know if we are going to agree here :)

You want the user to manually select devices, I want the user to be
able to override a sane (IMHO) default device selection behavior

I want to be able to tell my sister that all she has to do to use her
headset is "plug it in".

At the moment I have to tell her to plug the headset in.. left click
on the speaker icon, click settings, goto output tab, click the
"correct" output, now restart what ever app your using....

/end rant

Cheers

Jason Taylor

--
"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calven