[pulseaudio-discuss] PA uses the card's output as input instead of microphone

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Thu Jun 24 08:17:37 PDT 2010

Weird issue.  PA refuses to use my microphone as input source.  Instead,
is uses whatever is currently playing.  For example, if I play an MP3 or
watch a movie, the sound of the MP3 or the movie is used as input.

In "PulseAudio Volume Control" (pavucontrol), in the "Input Devices"
tab, "Analog Microphone / Microphone / Microphone" is selected.  But it
doesn't matter anyway; whatever I select there, the input monitor shows
activity only when playing something.

The microphone works just fine (I can hear what it records if I raise
the "Capture feedback" slider in kmix or alsamixer.)

Gentoo Linux AMD64
PA 0.9.21.2
Kernel 2.6.34
ALSA 1.0.23