[pulseaudio-discuss] PA uses the card's output as input instead of microphone

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Fri Jun 25 02:42:44 PDT 2010

On 06/25/2010 12:09 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Nikos Chantziaras at 24/06/10 16:17 did gyre and gimble:
>> Weird issue.  PA refuses to use my microphone as input source.  Instead,
>> is uses whatever is currently playing.  For example, if I play an MP3 or
>> watch a movie, the sound of the MP3 or the movie is used as input.
>>
>> In "PulseAudio Volume Control" (pavucontrol), in the "Input Devices"
>> tab, "Analog Microphone / Microphone / Microphone" is selected.  But it
>> doesn't matter anyway; whatever I select there, the input monitor shows
>> activity only when playing something.
>
> As the hover over suggests, the "Input Devices" tab only lets you select
> a "fallback" device. Ticking the box doesn't actually change things.
>
> You need to go to the "Recording" tab where you will see the application
> currently recording. Next to it you should see a little button that lets
> you change the device that is in use for that specific application.
>
> Changing this will move your stream and remember it for later.
>

> Also, what do you mean the "input monitor"? A monitor source, by it's
> very definition, is only going to monitor a sink. If in doubt paste a
> link to a screen shot or two and I'll try and explain better.
>
> I don't think this is a bug, it's just a conceptual misunderstanding.

I've tried many combinations, but nothing works.  Here's what "Input
Devices" shows:

   http://i46.tinypic.com/10ymnww.jpg

The activity shown in the bottom bar is from an MP3 currently playing in
Amarok.  The microphone or line-in doesn't generate any kind of activity.

Here's the "Recording" tab:

   http://i46.tinypic.com/9h8j11.jpg

Here too, the activity is generated by Amarok.  When selecting the other
choice in the shown pop-up menu, there's no activity shown, neither from
an MP3 nor from the microphone.