[pulseaudio-discuss] Volume too loud in headphones with Intel HDA

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Mar 3 08:47:59 PST 2010

On Wed, 03.03.10 16:47, Ludovic Courtès (ludo at gnu.org) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The document at http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PulseAudioStoleMyVolumes
> didn’t really answer my question, so here we go.
>
> I’m using PA on a Dell Latitude D430 laptop that has an Intel HDA sound
> card [0] with a “headphone” jack.  When actually plugging in headphones
> in that jack, the volume is too loud, and pavucontrol doesn’t allow me
> to make it softer: if the master or per-application volume slider is
> moved below a certain threshold (around 20), it becomes completely
> silent.

Sounds like a case of incorrect dB information.

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/decibel-data.html
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/BadDecibel

> [0] FWIW, here’s the beginning of the output of ‘dbverify’:

So, you did find our about dbverify. The printed output of it is quite
irrelevant, what matters is what your listening tests with it
reveal. And, what do they reveal?

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net