[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio sample type conversion and quality

Oscar Eriksson oscar.r.eriksson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 03:10:09 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'm curious about how the conversion from 32-bit float PCM to 16-bit fixed
PCM is done in PulseAudio. Or is it Alsa that takes care of this conversion?
Are noise shaping and dithering involved?

Also, how do I adjust the volume for optimum playback quality when playing
music? (I want to use the the full dynamic range) Should I use maximum ALSA
and PulseAudio volume when playing songs that have been normalized (Replay
Gain)?

Thank you!

/Oscar