[pulseaudio-discuss] 24 bit sound

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri May 7 15:48:29 PDT 2010

On Fri, 07.05.10 00:22, David Björkevik (david at bjorkevik.se) wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I'm in the process of buying a new soundcard. For a little more money I
> can get a 24-bit one, which I figure would be nice for things like
> software mixing.
>
> However, I can't find anything on how PulseAudio handles audio above 16
> bit / 48KHz. Will my 24-bit upgrade be lost in software?
>
> Also, what about higher frequencies, 96KHz and upwards?

As the others already mentioned, PA should be able to deal with both
higher freqs and bit depths just fine. However, given that most material
you could play is not 24bit nor 96khz the effect of running PA like this
will be mostly that the CPU usage goes up, since we then need to
reformat/resample everything you play.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net