[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with mplayer in Ubuntu 10.04

Mihai Sucan mihai.sucan at gmail.com
Sun May 9 04:40:21 PDT 2010

Hello Colin!

Thanks for your clarifications.

Le Sun, 09 May 2010 14:23:14 +0300, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> a
écrit:

> Hi,
>
> Just for clarity to others reading, we discussed and tried to debug this
> issue a lot on IRC already, so I'm familiar with the problem.
>
> 'Twas brillig, and Mihai Sucan at 09/05/10 12:06 did gyre and gimble:
>> 4. somehow i think that mplayer -ao pulse does "pretty much the same" as
>> it does mplayer -ao oss from the rvm Ubuntu PPA. The latter did take
>> control of the sound card, via OSS. The former does somehow take control
>> of the sound card, pulseaudio looses it, then mplayer happily goes on to
>> use pulseaudio for subsequent audio stream output, but now ...
>> pulseaudio
>> is silenced.
>
> Well mplayer -ao oss will bypass pulse completely and, as you say,
> basically "hog" the sound h/w. You can theoretically use:
>  padsp mplayer -ao oss
>
> and that should redirect oss output via PA too, but this may or may not
> work overly reliably (aka YMMV).

The result of calling padsp mplayer -ao oss is the same:

1. I can see now mplayer with OSS emulation in pavucontrol, vu meter is
fine, audio stream activity, etc.
2. I hear no sound, pulseaudio is borked/hogged.
3. Changing the card profile back and forth does make it work, while
mplayer is running.

So, no luck.

Best regards,
Mihai