[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with mplayer in Ubuntu 10.04

Mihai Sucan mihai.sucan at gmail.com
Sun May 9 11:27:43 PDT 2010

Hello David!

Thanks for your reply.

Le Sun, 09 May 2010 20:26:38 +0300, David Henningsson
<launchpad.web at epost.diwic.se> a écrit:

> On 2010-05-09 13:06, Mihai Sucan wrote:
>> The problem is with mplayer. I cannot play *any* sound with it, and
>> worse,
>> it causes PulseAudio to go "bonkers". Once I start mplayer, I cannot
>> hear
>> any sound, from any application.
>>
>> I tested mplayer from the default Ubuntu repositories [1] and a much
>> newer
>> build from the RVM Ubuntu PPA repository [2] (the author of SMPlayer,
>> if I
>> am not mistaken). Both behave quite much the same.
>
> I'm not sure, but this could be worth a look:
> ...to see if that is what you have encountered as well, or if it is
> related.

The problem does not seem to be related with mine - the mplayer release in
Ubuntu repos is much older and I get no errors from MPlayer.

In the early days I did get this warning:

bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)

... but that was simply because of the bluez-alsa package. I found online
info that removing the package solves this minor issue. I removed the
package and, indeed, I no longer see the warning. (I do not use bluetooth,
so the package removal does not affect my usage.)

Other ALSA-based applications play sounds fine, for example Flash Player
10.0.

Best regards,
Mihai

--