[pulseaudio-discuss] Streaming sound from pulseaudio over the internet, for use with VNC

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue May 11 06:41:13 PDT 2010

Vinux is a customized version of Ubuntu for the blind.  Our users rely
on PulseAudio for speech, and we have everything working well now
days.  Now that Ubuntu Lucid has shipped, we're close to shipping what
I think will be a very popular release of Vinux, meaning we'll have
lot's of regular users to support, not just hackers.

A huge problem we have is supporting blind users.  In some cases, they
can open VNC ports for me, and I can often find out what's wrong with
their system.  However, I never know for sure if speech is playing.
What I really want is to mirror the pulseaudio output stream over the
internet to my machine, so I can hear what they hear.

Is this possible?  We might be able to write a bit of code to make all
this a bit easier for users.

Thanks,
Bill