[pulseaudio-discuss] console volume control

Brandon Kuczenski brandon.kuczenski at 301south.net
Sun May 23 13:01:22 PDT 2010

On Sun, 23 May 2010, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-05-22 at 20:34 -0700, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
>> Since the list is so responsive, I thought I'd ask all my questions now.
>>
>> Is there a terminal-mode volume control app for pulseaudio, comparable to
>> aumix?  if not, I'd like to highlight that as a minor but significant
>> oversight, particularly if the system has users with no GUI login.
>
> There are the command-line tools pactl and pacmd, but they aren't
> comparable to aumix. Alsamixer is the closest alternative, but that's
> not very good either with Pulseaudio. Would you like to write "aumix for
> Pulseaudio"?

I did not know about pactl and pacmd.  I'll dig into them, keeping in mind
that the community has yet to produce an 'aumix' replacement and that I
could contribute to such an effort.

Would it be appropriate to write an ncurses (do people still use ncurses?)
client that uses pactl as a backend?  maybe something more integrated
would be desirable.

>> 'pavucontrol' works from a local terminal but doesn't seem to work when
>> logged in remotely- I get a gnome dialog [so it's not an X problem] saying
>> 'connection refused'
>
> I don't know off-hand what's wrong. What's the setup? So far I know that
> you have a server and a client, and X is running on the client, and you
> are trying to run pavucontrol on the server.

The only client-server relationship is in X.  I was expecting to control
the remote machine's volume control using a dialog that would appear on
the local machine's display: classic X11 forwarding.

But this is not important or desirable to me anymore since I suspect I can
accomplish my task using pactl.

Thanks for your help.

-Brandon