[pulseaudio-discuss] High pitched sounds and Internal Speaker

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Nov 8 10:12:01 PST 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 03:59 +0000, M. Hamzah Khan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an Intel HDA sound card in my machine. The machine has a built in
> speaker, which (without pulseaudio) I was able to disable by just
> unchecking the box for "speaker" in gnome-alsamixer.
>
> But when I do this while pulseaudio is running, pulseaudio mutes all
> output. If I unmute using pavolcontrol, the "speaker" control in alsa
> gets unmuted.

I'd guess this is just an issue of an inappropriate port (was it
"connector" in gnome-volume-control jargon?) being in use. Selecting a
headphone port will probably enable the correct output and mute the
internal speakers. You mentioned your "real speakers", so you probably
don't use headphones, so the port name is misleading, but aren't your
real speakers connected to the same connector as you would use if you
used headphones?