[pulseaudio-discuss] Avoiding 2ch upmixing to all speakers

Dom H speedsix.lists at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 13 05:16:43 PST 2010

I'm currently giving mplayer's 'pan' audio filter a go, this lets you
decide how each input channel is mixed into the relevant output
channel. As an example, for the centre channel I can specify that 0.5
goes into each front speaker (actually around .65 to get a matching
level all across the front 3) Same goes for the extra rear channels of
8ch tracks such as Dolby EX/TrueHD etc, so for the extra right rear
surround I put .7 into my actual right rear and .3 into the rear left
speaker (again maybe a bit more like .75/.45 as they're too low) For
simplicities sake, pulse is left set to 5.1, it just doesn't receive
anything on the centre channel (which has no speaker attached to it)

Pulse does seem to handle mixing of the extra surround channels in an
8ch mix into 6 but they are VERY quiet and seem to be mixed between
the front and the rear of that side and not offset somewhere between
the 2 rears.

I would prefer to use Pulse for this as I think it's the right place
for it to be done but the inability to adjust the volume kinda kills
it. Well, maybe the volume doesn't need to be configurable, maybe they
just need more output, as in, for a missing centre putting more than
.5 into each front.

I still leave pulse doing the LFE remixing (for music playback) which
works well (still works with a discrete LFE track which is good),
problem is, I can't have JUST lfe mixing enabled without having
upmixing. Setting enable-mixing = no and enable-lfe-mixing = yes
doesn't work. It would be nice if upmixing/downmixing/LFEmixing were
configurable separately. I'm not your average user but imo upmixing
2ch into all speakers is quite an undesirable default. I think
downmixing/LFEmixing should be enabled 'permanently' separately in the
config with upmixing being a clickable option into the volume applet.
Most AV decoders work this way, you have to actually enable upmixing
by switching to a particular mode, downmixing/bass routing is
configured in the setup and always one (you'd set it once and leave
it)

Can pulse be configured for speaker delays aswell? i.e accepting a
distance measurement in metres to set an audio delay in ms for each
channel?

Thanks