[pulseaudio-discuss] First start by gnome-session doesn't honour default.pa?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 20:56:30 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 08:44 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Ng Oon-Ee at 30/09/10 02:50 did gyre and gimble:
> > On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 16:00 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> >> I suspect this is something to do with gconf.
> >>
> >> paprefs just sets some keys in gconf and it's up to module-gconf to
> >> actually read and process them.
> >>
> >> I believe (tho' have not checked) that module-gconf will not wait for
> >> gconf itself to be loaded before being considered "loaded" therefore,
> >> the set-default-sink combined in default.pa may not work, even if the
> >> gconf is available and working.
> >>
> >> Out of curiosity, does unloading/reloading just module-gconf make the
> >> simultaneous output appear? (as opposed to killing the whole of the PA
> >> daemon) It's not any more elegant a solution but it does narrow down
> >> where the problem lies :D
> >
> > Isn't it always this way... now that I want to test that it starts
> > working properly every single boot. The next time I see this issue I'll
> > be sure to try unloading/reloading module-gconf. Probably a race
> > condition of some sort.
>
> hehe, yup! 9 out of 10 problem are solved simply by saying "Hey, this is
> weird. Hey, come see this. Look, when I do this, that happe... oh wait
> it didn't" :p
>
> Col

Ah, I just logged out and logged back in to get my scanner working and
the same thing happened again =). Unloading and reloading module-gconf
didn't seem to have an effect (maybe I wasn't doing it correctly?). In
any case, this is pactl list pastebins from before and after. Anything
else I need to check?

http://pastebin.com/rM1gJfEr - pactl list before pulseaudio -k
http://pastebin.com/RYEZGVbr - pactl list after pulseaudio -k