[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio + USB Microphone, how use it without recording?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Oct 16 02:22:52 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Miguel Beltran R. at 15/10/10 04:13 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello List
>
> I have some music videos with lyrics to use it as a karaoke, but when I
> reproduce the video and try to sing using the microphone don't work like
> I expected. There no sound out of mic.
> Using pavucontrol I saw in "Input Devices" that appeared a "Logitech USB
> Microphone Analog Mono" and the meter is moving, just haven't sound out.
>
> What I must do? I want heard the video and Mic

What you technically need to do is record from the mic and then play it
back through some speakers.

PA ships with a convenient way to do this in the form of module-loopback.

It basically does this and will also resample as needed to deal with
slight variations in the different device clocks involved (e.g. your mic
may record at 441002 Hz and your output device may consume at 440998 Hz).

Because it has to resample there may be a slight delay.

But: pactl load-module module-loopback

Then use pavucontrol and under the recording and playback tabs you will
see a new stream. Simply move this stream to the right devices for input
and output and you will be able to hear the mic on the appropriate output.

Hope that helps

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]