[pulseaudio-discuss] Sound card problem

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Oct 16 15:42:36 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Martin Wetterstedt at 16/10/10 22:55 did gyre and gimble:
> Thanks Colin!
>
> I just added the user to the group audio, and that was it!
> (http://wiki.debian.org/SoundFAQ)

That is very much the wrong way to fix this issue properly and the wiki
page you link is very wrong to suggest this as a fix.

The correct approach is to ensure the appropriate ACLs are written to
the device nodes for the active user. This is done automatically by
console-kit and udev integration (provided you don't mess up all the
upstream rules of course)

By adding users to the audio group, you fundamentally break multi-user
systems as both users will be able to use the sound device at the same time.

I'd appreciate it if you could update the wiki to advise against adding
users to the audio group and seek to fix the ACL problem your distro is
experiencing.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]