[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio-0.9.14 on Slackware 12.2 with Droplinegome 2.26

Ron Hermsen ronhermsen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 13:41:33 PDT 2010

Dear Reader,

I have problems with pulseaudio not starting up.
After changing default.pa, module-alsa-sink did found my soundcard,
but PA still fails.
I hope someone can help me to get it working.

Audio details:
“ESS 1869 Plug and Play Audio Drive”.
The module that is loaded: snd_es1688
Complete lsmod output: http://pastebin.com/B0rzSrJT
Modprobe and lsdev info: http://pastebin.com/rj0xqL01

If I use pulseaudio -vvvv --daemonize=false with the default
“default.pa” the output I get the following failure messages:
E: polkit.c: Cannot set UID on session object.
I: main.c: PolicyKit refuses acquire-high-priority privilege.
D: module-always-sink.c: Autoloading null-sink as no other sinks detected.
E: module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call failed:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply
(timeout by message bus)
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-console-kit" (argument:
""): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
Complete output: http://pastebin.com/MuxxuLmt

>From the null-sink I understand that no soundcards is found.

aplay -v --device=hw:0 /usr/share/sounds/shutdown.wav
works
Complete output: http://pastebin.com/Rdp0Ef6t

Tried to change “default.pa” with the following lines:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0

With this the module-alsa-sink seems to be ok, but module-alsa-source failes.

pulseaudio -vvvv --daemonize=false output:
E: polkit.c: Cannot set UID on session object.
I: main.c: PolicyKit refuses acquire-high-priority privilege.
D: alsa-util.c: Trying hw:0 with SND_PCM_NO_AUTO_FORMAT ...
I: (alsa-lib)pcm_hw.c: open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c failed
E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-source" (argument:
"device=hw:0"): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.
Complete output: http://pastebin.com/XaKz4ZN7

Tried to use “module-null-source”, but it is not installed on my pc.
# slocate module-null-source
#

Without a source module specified: http://pastebin.com/aUT5bxrp

I'm not sure where to go from here...