[pulseaudio-discuss] Virtualbox sound management

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Oct 21 08:42:01 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Fabrice Beauvir at 20/10/10 10:23 did gyre and gimble:
> So colin,
> tried but..... The problem is stil here because Vbox redirect all VM on
> default sink and source , and I don't understand how to redirect
> correctly each input on each output.

Well what I was suggesting that both VMs *do* output to the same sink.
And also that both import for the same source but (and this is the
critical thing) the source they both record from is *not* the the
monitor source of the sink they are outputting to. That way both VMs
output to a null sink and both VMs input from a the monitor of a
*different* null sink.

> There is a thing I don't understand is how to redirect VM 1 sound output
> to VM 1 sound input using 2 sinks ?

Hmm, this is different to the setup I thought you wanted? I throw you
wanted to throw away the sound output and record only silence on both
machines?

Are you saying you want VM1 to record (via it's input) only the sounds
that VM1 produces and to make VM2 record only the sounds VM2 produces?

If so this can be done, but I'll wait for you to confirm that this is
really what you want before describing it.

If you want to just throw away all audio and record only silence (as I
originally thought you did) then I've actually seen an easier way - just
configure the virtual machines to use the "Null Audio" driver rather
than the the "PulseAudio" driver :)

> So, shall I give up ?

Only quitters quit :p

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]