[pulseaudio-discuss] Can I push a tag on master to set the version?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Oct 31 13:01:08 PDT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Luke Yelavich at 31/10/10 15:53 did gyre and gimble:
> I would like to revive this if I may. I am about to build git master
> and put it into a testing repository for Ubuntu, and having a tag
> that referrs to a version number after 0.9.22 would be very useful,
> so that users can install the testing package as an upgrade. Sure it
> would be an upgrade, but the package manager would technically see it
> as a downgrade, due to the version in git master, 0.9.19.

I've spoken to Lennart about the release thing and one should be coming
in the next week or so from s-q. But this doesn't directly deal with
this problem.

> I have pondered tagging in my local copy, so I can build the package,
> but I'd rather do something that is endorced by upstream, or even
> better, taken care of by upstream.

A quick and easy method is to just:

echo 0.9.23 >.tarball-version

IIRC this causes git-version-gen to just use that version for everything....

That prevents a local tag, but it ultimately produces the same result.

I'd also like to decide on what we call "master" when it's released. I'd
personally prefer to call it 0.10.x as I've said before but there may be
(political?) reasons to avoid this and just jump up to 0.9.23...

Either way, I'll try and continue to poke Lennart to answer this question :)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]