[pulseaudio-discuss] Serversound 2 ThinClient

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Apr 4 08:55:58 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Maarten Bosmans at 04/04/11 15:14 did gyre and gimble:
> Please note this is a English-speaking mailing list. Below is my
> answer in English, hopefully you will be able to understand it.
>
> 2011/4/4 badgerman <bad-ger-man at web.de>:
>> Hallo liebe Listenleser,
>>
>> ich habe eine SLES11-Kvm-Maschine mit openSuse11.2/3/4 Gastsystemen.
>> Das einloggen erfolgt über ThinClients an den jeweiligen Gastsystemen (alle
>> mit LTSP4.2).
>> Die (very)ThinClients haben 64MB Ram.
>>
>> Der SLES11-Kvm-Server hat keine eigene Soundkarte.
>> Wie kann ich dennoch den Sound zu den Clients bringen?
>
> Assuming the thin-clients have pulseaudio running and
> module-protocol-native-tcp enabled with approprate permessions set,
> the forwarding of audio back to the client is done automatically when
> logging in on the server with X-forwarding enabled.
> Alternatively, you can start applications on the server with the
> PULSE_SERVER=<client-name> environment variable set.

Also see here:
http://colin.guthr.ie/2009/08/sound-on-linux-is-confusing-defuzzing-part-2-pulseaudio/

I wrote a little bit about how the X11 forwarding is used to piggy back
our connection settings. You will need to ensure things are configured
properly at both ends to make it work.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]