[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio start stop

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Apr 6 06:18:10 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and duportail at 06/04/11 12:36 did gyre and gimble:
> Op 6-4-2011 13:14, duportail schreef:
>> I am setting the default sink for the user at log-in according the
>> display he is on.
>> First time login is ok, but if the user logs out and logs in at
>> another display, pulse does not start with error (sorry, in dutch)
>> E: socket-server.c: bind(): Adres is al in gebruik
>> E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-esound-protocol-unix"
>> (argument: ""): initialization failed.
>> E: main.c: Module load failed.
>> E: main.c: Initialiseren van de daemon mislukt.
>> Can I do something at the user logout?
>> gd

> Ok, found it.Removing the /tmp/.esd(uid) did it.But why is this left
> ,after the user is logged out?

When you say /tmp/.esd(uid) what do you mean?

On my system we use /tmp/.esd-uid/. This prevents one user from clashing
with another (although that doesn't prevent malicious DoS by another
user just creating lots of folder names - this is one of the problems
with ESD socket path - we solve that in PA and now in systemd with some
clever logic).

Anyway, in the very old days, the ESD socket was just /tmp/.esd which
totally sucked in a multi-user environment. Most distros patch libesound
to make it /tmp/.esd-$UID but that's still sucky for deliberate DoS as
noted above.

PA has the option to emulate either structure of socket paths via
configure switches. I suggest you ensure that your libesound and
pulseaudio packages are in sync in this regard. As your distro
maintainer to speak with us on IRC or via replying to this thread if you
like.

Alternatively, this problem could be simply that you are not using PID
files and you're trying to start two pulseaudio daemons for the same
user. This is not supported. PA is a per-user process. The user should
only run one instance of PA. PID files typically prevent this, but this
can be disabled.

Either way something is not quite right on your system to be causing
this problem and I hope I've pointed you in the right direction for
debugging.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]