[pulseaudio-discuss] intermittent audio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Apr 7 14:58:35 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and pl bossart at 07/04/11 15:48 did gyre and gimble:
>> I'm not sure if this is the right venue, but I'm not sure where else to ask.  If there's a more appropriate place, please let me know.
>>
>> I recently upgraded my MythTV server from Fedora 11 to Fedora 14.  Now the only way to get sound to work is to follow these steps:
>>
>> Start the audio source so that there's an audio stream
>> Open the Pulseaudio Volume Control panel
>> Click the "Configuration" tab,
>> Change "Internal Audio" to any profile other than the current one
>> Change "Internal Audio" back to the original profile ( Digital Stereo Duplex (IEC958) )
>>
>> At this point, the audio works.  But if I change from watching one show in MythTV to another, I have to go through the whole process again.  It's like as soon as pulseaudio loses a signal, it has to be reset.  The issue is odd enough that I don't even know what keywords to search for to see if this is a common problem - has anyone heard of this?  Does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix or troubleshoot it?
>>

> rm -rf ~/.pulse*
> pulseaudio -vvv 2> log.txt
> pastebin log.txt and send us the link

Also, are you sure MythTV is using PA?

The MythTV guys insist on automatically suspending PA which can cause
deadlocks if you configure MythTV to use the "alsa:default" ALSA device.
I've tried to explain this on IRC before, but it has never quite stuck.

I'd either configure your MythTV to use the device "alsa:pulse"
(assuming you have such an alsa definition?) or to use the built in
PulseAudio support.

Or simply ask your local friendly Fedora packager to apply this patch...
(which I still maintain should be applied upstream but I've given up
trying...)

http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/mythtv/current/SOURCES/0101-pulse-Do-not-suspend-PA-when-using-alsa-default.patch?view=markup

HTHs

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]