[pulseaudio-discuss] Conexant CX20585 recording does not work

Gabriel Schulhof nix at go-nix.ca
Sat Apr 9 12:13:37 PDT 2011

Hi!

On Tue, March 8, 2011 12:01, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> OK, so Gabriel, this sounds like one to take over to alsa-devel mailing
> list (I'd avoid their bug tracker - it's a black hole!). You should
> attach the alsa-info output to that mail.

I went over to alsa-devel, and I have found a solution that makes arecord
work, however, recording continues to block in pulseaudio. Here's what I
did:

1. I added "options snd-hda-intel model=ideapad" to /etc/modprobe.d
2. I verified that "ideapad" was set in
/sys/modules/snd_hda_intel/params/model:
ideapad,(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null)
3. I booted to runlevel 3 to avoid pulseaudio from starting, and logged in
as my mom.
4. I recorded something using arecord > tmp.wav
5. I played it back. I heard what I had recorded.
6. I rebooted to runlevel 5.
7. I logged in using GNOME, and I looked at the sound preferences menu, in
"input". I found that the level indicator wasn't moving at all.
8. I tried a skype test call. It looked like it was recording my voice for
10 seconds, but when it was to play it back, it played back a NULL
sequence - not 10 seconds of static, but a sequence that was 0 seconds in
length.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do, especially since
skype no longer supports ALSA!

TIA,

Gabriel