[pulseaudio-discuss] keys for raop server

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Apr 12 08:29:58 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Daniel Mack at 11/04/11 14:28 did gyre and gimble:
> 2011/4/11 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:
>> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 12:39:38 +0200, Tomasz Torcz <tomek at pipebreaker.pl>
>> wrote:
>>>  Some interested in adding server functionality to PA,
>>> using attached key?
>>
>> On a side note, I understood (from an Apple AirPort engineer) that there
>> is no need to do the cryptographic stuff to SEND to an ApEx. If it's true,
>> then many hoops in PulseAudio and VLC's RAOP outputs are nasically
>> redumdant.
>>
>> Of course, for an RAOP input, you do need the cryptography (if the remote
>> client asks). I'm not sure how well this fits into PulseAudio though? It
>> does not have a decoder for Apple Lossless, does it?
>
> That's true. Streaming from another Mac would also only be interesting
> for iTunes, as all other applications are not (natively) able to
> stream to an Airport Express. However, a thing that really could be
> cool is streaming Music from an iPhone to a computer running
> PulseAudio.

It's possibly something that fits better into VLC or GST etc, (just push
a stream to the sound output), although PA does provide a nice framework
for listening for it.... but I think the fact we'd only be able to
handle PCM easily (without linking to GST/VLC or similar), it may be
better implemented as a separate, but related project?

Not really sure to be honest.

If the whole crypography overhead can be skipped, in our current ROAP
output stuff tho', that would be a bonus. I guess it'll take some trial
and error experiments to work that out.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]