[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Apr 12 12:55:30 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and duportail at 12/04/11 19:20 did gyre and gimble:
> Op 12-4-2011 18:53, Tanu Kaskinen schreef:
>> On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 12:30 -0400, Sean McNamara wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> This is the "classic" multi-user problem: you're using a soundcard
>>> without hardware mixing, so only one ALSA application can take direct
>>> control of the hardware device at a time. user1's pulseaudio daemon
>>> takes control of it, so obviously user2's PA daemon will just get
>>> "Device or resource busy" when trying to snd_pcm_open() on hw:0 (for
>>> example). This problem has existed since ALSA existed. There's no
>>> direct fix without scrapping the API and rewriting it.
>> Actually, this situation is supposed to be handled just fine (unless
>> duportail expects both users to be able to use the audio hw
>> simultaneously, which he doesn't mention). If this doesn't work, xubuntu
>> is broken. Some things that can cause this problem: the users are in the
>> "audio" group, consolekit isn't running or consolekit's udev-acl isn't
>> in use.
>>
> Maybe xubuntu is broken.I will wait until further releases

Make sure that ck-list-sessions reports correctly that only the active
user is actually active.

Also check the user groups as Tanu reported.

But all in all, this *should* be handled correctly (and certainly is on
other systems)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]