[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] Pulseaudio jack sense

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Tue Apr 12 13:58:10 PDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 02:14:04PM -0500, pl bossart wrote:
> > Jack detect does not use the ALSA kernel subsystem but does instead
> > use the input subsystem for jack status. It makes sense to create a
> > new module so we can then use jack detect for non ALSA sound devices.

> I'm a bit lost here. What are 'non ALSA sound devices'?
> And to the best of my knowledge these events are only generated by
> ALSA drivers...
> Am I missing something here?

These events can be generated by anything - prior to my implementing the
ALSA support for this all the implementations in mainline were doing
this via the gpio-keys driver since they were detecting a microswitch in
the jack.  I'd expect that non-audio jacks may also end up reporting via
the same interface (video for example), but I'm not sure if Pulse would
be interested in anything non-ALSA.