[pulseaudio-discuss] Please help me to understand this

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 10:40:43 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Claude Frantz
<ClaudeFrantzX665 at lavabit.com> wrote:
> On 04/13/2011 06:32 PM, Daniel Mack wrote:
>
>> AFAIK, this bug is not known, and I haven't seen any such effects yet.
>> Which program is that?
>
> The program is "wspr". It is started whith python and it includes some
> modules in FORTRAN and C.
>
>> Can you reproduce the bug?
>
> Yes !
>
>> To me, it smells like a memory corruption outside the PulseAudio code,
>> but that's just guessing. Could you try running the binary in
>> valgrind? Maybe that shows anything.
>
> I have tried it. You will find attached some extract from the output.

The "invalid write" sounds suspicious. I assume the test binaries from
the PulseAudio source tree work fine for you?

I think you need to put some more efford in debugging this. IOW, go
ahead and build a minimal PortAudio tool and see if it also shows the
bug. Or go the other way around and strip down the program you use and
see if you can get it to the point where it doesn't crash anymore.

Sorry I can't provide more information at this point, but please keep
us posted about anything you find.

Daniel