[pulseaudio-discuss] review+pull-request: Passthrough support

pl bossart bossart.nospam at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 08:04:01 PDT 2011

>> Somehow we need to find a way to set this AES0 byte when opening the
>> iec958 or hdmi device in the passthrough code, and reset it back to
>> 0x04 for PCM playback (should be fairly easy to do by looking at the
>> code of iecset in alsa-utils). Beats me why this was not needed for
>> plain ac3, but setting the audio bit is actually the correct thing to
>> do.
>
> If my reading is correct, this is something we should do for all formats
> anyway?

Yes. The C bits are usually ignored by the receiver since a lot of
sources don't configure them well. But it turns out that in this case
setting the non-audio bit is a mandatory setting.

> Is the ALSA device correctly being configured to 192 kHz?

I will have to recheck for these two cases. I guess it is since I can
see the D+ logo, but let me confirm for these two cases.