[pulseaudio-discuss] Pavucontrol level meter bug (at least on "Input Devices")

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 4 16:39:40 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Maarten Bosmans at 04/08/11 22:31 did gyre and gimble:
> 2011/8/4 David Henningsson <david.henningsson at canonical.com>:
>> Actually, I don't mind the DONT_INHIBIT_AUTO_SUSPEND feature now that I know
>> it's there. I think it would be okay to change the level meter to a label
>> saying "This stream is currently idle." instead of just showing the latest
>> value and appearing hung-like.
>
> Hmm, if the latest value is showing for an idle sink, that's a bug (of course)
> But instead of a message, wouldn't a vu-meter at zero (-inf dB) be the
> most logical option? That way the user doesn't have to care whether
> the source is suspended or not.

Nah not really as the user may be shouting into their mic, and wonder
why it's "not working" as the vu meter stays resolutely at 0.

But when it's a local mic, then not showing the vu is a pain.... I'm not
sure we can please everyone with this approach unless we do some
semi-intelligent choices... e.g. only adding the DONT flag when the
source is not HARDWARE... or something like that.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]