[pulseaudio-discuss] Automatic muting of multiple applications

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Aug 11 01:45:25 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Jason Taylor at 10/08/11 23:50 did gyre and gimble:
> * A better cork work around would be to use the MEPIS2 dbus interface
> (http://www.mpris.org/2.1/spec/index.html) to pause apps. Most
> music/video apps these days support this interface (thanks to the ubuntu
> sound menu)

I'm not 100% sure this is a good idea either as there could be race
conditions emerging if both the sound system itself supports dealing
with the cork events and we do something internal to compensate for the
lack of support in most clients.... (the same is true of the current
(and as you say, crappy) solution of sending multimedia keys).

So I'd say it should simply be supported nicely in gstreamer and then
most applications should behave correctly. As GStreamer is used pretty
extensively on both GNOME and KDE, this covers the majority of cases
right away.

Add in support for the browsers and we've got quite complete coverage.

To Johannes, please do not jump right in and implement a module. There
needs to be more discussion first as I think these kind of policy
modules need to be planned a bit better than the ad-hoc collection we
have right now.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]