[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse-cookie locking in NFS causes 30 second delays

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 02:26:36 PDT 2011

I can't really comment on the bug itself or the necessity of changing
the locking scheme.

About the proposed patch:
First: that hunk in core-util is formatted very confusingly, but I
guess that is just the result of diff being stupid there.
If the right solution is to add pa_read_lock_fd, the I think it should
be defined unconditionally (i.e. not protected by HAVE_READ_LOCKS) and
the implementation should fall back to pa_lock_fd for a write lock if
F_SETLKW is not defined, so that the stuff on Windows keeps working
(I'll fix it up properly to use a read lock later)

Also, the semantics of promoting a read lock to a write lock need to
be defined in a comment in core-util.c. From the patch it looks like a
promoted lock needs to be unlocked only once, but at least on Windows
two unlock operations are needed.

Maarten