[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Change the device-restore database to allow per-port volumes

Colin Guthrie colin at mageia.org
Wed Aug 24 14:58:42 PDT 2011

Hi,

This is a patch set that will likely mostly interest David, but also
solves one of the remaining niggles I have for 1.0 - the fact that
volumes are not set properly on port changes.

Now this only "solves" that niggle when the module-device-restore is used,
but I'm happy enough to rely on that for now seeing as it's the default
on 99.999% of desktop installs.

The overall benefit of this patch is that it allows different volumes
to be saved and restored for different ports. Combine this with David's
work on making jack-detection work (which triggers port changes) and you
automatically get different volumes on headphones vs. speakers.

This breaks the database for git (and pre-release) users, but it should
smoothly upgrade 0.9.23 format databases to the new ones (not tested),
which I think is acceptable.

Let me know what you think, report bugs etc. etc.

Cheers