[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Change the device-restore database to allow per-port volumes

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Aug 29 03:01:55 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and David Henningsson at 29/08/11 10:51 did gyre and gimble:
> On 08/29/2011 10:51 AM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and David Henningsson at 29/08/11 08:04 did gyre and
>> gimble:

>>> Well, I'm not that much into the database format, so can't really look
>>> for bugs there...I have a question though: What about loudness bumps? It
>>> looks like that could be the effect if you set the volume in such a
>>> reactive fashion?
>>
>> Well if you plug in a jack, you kinda expect the volume to change anyway
>> (it's a different physical thing outputting the sound.
>>
>> Not really sure what you're meaning by loudness bumps in this respect.
>> Sure it's possible that the user configures things such that things get
>> too loud when they unplug things, but I'm not convinced there is a way
>> around that while still supporting independent volumes for headphones
>> vs. speakers.
>
> Assume we have a card with one ALSA kcontrol named "Master" that
> controls both headphone and speaker volume. User likes to have volume at
> -6 dB with headphones and -24 dB with speakers. When user unplugs
> headphones, he will have -6 dB in his speakers from the point when the
> kernel does the automute stuff until we have synced the volume, i e a
> "bump" in the volume. In that case, I'm not sure if there's anything we
> could do about it.

Ahh right of course.

Yeah until we have some info to go on, there is very little we can do to
mask this sadly.

At least in practice, I think headphones will be quieter than speakers
rather than the other way round (at least that's how I tend to use them!)

Incidentally, when you are adding your jack stuff, I think I'm right in
saying that you add fake ports to all alsa sinks to deal with
jack-plugged v.s jack-unplugged right?

At the moment I store the volume per-device with a special fake port
name of "null" but would it make more sense if I used the fake name
"jack-unplugged" (or whatever your fake profile name is) in preparation
for your patchs landing. That way users who have volumes saved won't get
them invalidated. Feel free to chat on IRC if this is unclear!

> But this also happens when you switch manually, in which case which
> *could* do something about it. My point is that a port switch
> essentially a change of ALSA kcontrols, and it seems like the proposed
> implementation would do the change in two steps, first in reaction to
> the port switch, then in reaction to module-device-restore. And there
> should be possible to do it in one step only and set the right volume at
> the same time as you set the port switch. Do you follow?

Ahh right, so some kind of notification that a port switch from a->b is
in progress and to react.

I guess the idea there would be to have a PORT_CHANGE_PRE hook and do
the necessary work, pushing the necessary values into the sink object's
volumes.

I think this is possible to make work (and would probably fix the
underlying problem more thoroughly too which is nice), but it's likely
something that will have to wait until after 1.0 (certainly if I'm going
to do it as I won't really have time).

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]