[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Loopback module and DONT_MOVE flags + dormant state

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Dec 9 08:05:30 PST 2011

Hi,

At the moment there are some DONT_MOVE flags added when some arguments
are passed to the loopback module: sink_dont_move=true etc.

If they are not passed then the streams will move to another device if
the device they were attached to disappears.

I would like to propose a couple changes to the behaviour here.

1. rather than defaulting to FALSE, the value of sink_dont_move should
be dependent on whether or not a sink= argument was passed. If you
provide a sink, then it defaults to TRUE, otherwise, FALSE.

2. Should the module itself be dormant? By that I mean should you be
able to pass sink="wibble" source="foo" and if those devices do not
exist rather than fail as it does now, it just sits and waits for the
devices to appear. When they do appear it all kicks in, and all is well.
When they disappear it goes back to it's dormant, waiting state until
they appear again.

This functionality is quite useful. That said, I'm not 100% certain it
should live in the module itself. It's kinda a generic thing and I did
intend at some point to finish off module-loader which could trigger the
load of certain modules when specific sinks/sources appear. This would
centralise the functionality and keep the individual modules simpler.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Please ask if I need to clarify myself... pretty tired today!

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/