[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Loopback module and DONT_MOVE flags + dormant state

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Wed Dec 14 13:25:54 PST 2011

> 2. Should the module itself be dormant? By that I mean should you be
> able to pass sink="wibble" source="foo" and if those devices do not
> exist rather than fail as it does now, it just sits and waits for the
> devices to appear. When they do appear it all kicks in, and all is well.
> When they disappear it goes back to it's dormant, waiting state until
> they appear again.
>

> This functionality is quite useful. That said, I'm not 100% certain it
> should live in the module itself. It's kinda a generic thing and I did
> intend at some point to finish off module-loader which could trigger the
> load of certain modules when specific sinks/sources appear. This would
> centralise the functionality and keep the individual modules simpler.

My 2 cents: the loopback should be activated automatically for specific
sources (mainly Bluetooth or USB inputs). The sink shouldn't be
specified, we should add a 'role' such as 'speech call' for the loopback
sink-input and have the routing rules applied. Specifying a specific
sink seems like a bad idea moving forward.
-Pierre