[pulseaudio-discuss] padevchooser replacement

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Dec 15 05:39:20 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Victor Mataré at 14/12/11 23:12 did gyre and gimble:
> On Wednesday, 14.12.2011 21:24:45 Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Victor Mataré at 14/12/11 19:59 did gyre and gimble:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> Am I right in that there's currently (after padevchooser deprecation) no
>>> GUI way of choosing the server to use? That's a real problem for me
>>> since I frequently switch between local and networked servers, as do
>>> other users on my network who can't be expected to use the console for
>>> that task.
>>> Any idea how to switch servers conveniently without padevchooser?
>>
>> We generally recommend always using your local PA daemon and using Avahi
>> and similar auto discover to automatically add tunnel sinks to remote
>> machines you want to use. This way you can move streams from local to
>> remote and back again as needed rather than restarting applications
>> every time you switch servers.
>>

> OK that's nice, but it's not
> working:
>
> $ avahi-browse -l -t _pulse-server._tcp
> +   eth0 IPv6 jana at wiese    _pulse-server._tcp   local
> +   eth0 IPv6 ich at horst     _pulse-server._tcp   local
> +   eth0 IPv4 jana at wiese    _pulse-server._tcp   local
> +   eth0 IPv4 ich at horst     _pulse-server._tcp   local
>
> $ pacmd list-sinks
> Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
>   * index: 0
>         name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>
>         driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
>         flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY FLAT_VOLUME DYNAMIC_LATENCY
>         state: SUSPENDED
>         suspend cause: IDLE
> [...]
>
> So it lists only the local sinks, although module-zeroconf-discover is loaded:
>
> $ pacmd list-modules | grep -B1 -A7 zeroconf-discover
>     index: 19
>         name: <module-zeroconf-discover>
>         argument: <>
>         used: -1
>         load once: yes
>         properties:
>                 module.author =Lennart Poettering"
>                 module.de
> cription =mDNS/DNS-SD Service Discovery"
>                 module.version =0.9.23"
>
> Am I supposed to do anything else to make it work?

The only other bit that I can think off of the top of my head is the
name resolving bits.

Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file and make sure your hosts line
contains the mdns stuff for "hosts":

hosts:           mdns4_minimal files nis dns mdns4  wins myhostname

(yours may not look exactly like this)

Assuming that is working it should "Just Work(tm)"

If it doesn't work, try loading the tunnel module manually and see if it
works. Perhaps module-tunnel-sink is actually in a different package on
your distro and it's just that whoever packaged it up didn't appreciate
that the zeroconf-discover module needs the tunnel module?

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/