[pulseaudio-discuss] HDMI passthrough request for help

Kelly Anderson kelly at silka.with-linux.com
Fri Feb 18 06:01:39 PST 2011

Hey,

With all of the discussions going on about passthrough I thought someone
on the list might be able to give me some insight into getting
passthrough working properly with xbmc.

First of all I patched pulseaudio git with some updates to treat
hdmi-passthrough as it does iec958-passthrough.  That seems to work.  I
can use paplay to pass a dts-wav file through to the receiver and the
receiver triggers into dts mode and plays it.  A native dts file
stripped from and mkv movie file on the other hand doesn't play.

I made some minor changes to the Xbmc pulseaudio driver so that it does
not ignore passthrough requests.  Xbmc's pulseaudio driver assumes
(without patching) that passthrough is not available for pulseaudio.
Now I can select the pulseaudio passthrough device.  Xbmc has code in it
to manipulate dts streams.

The problem is that I can start a movie, Xbmc will select the dts track
and play, but the receiver doesn't go into dts mode, but instead just
buzzes the speakers.

Any ideas?