[pulseaudio-discuss] [PulseAudio] No sound while Testing Pulseaudio on Beagleboard

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jul 21 12:51:13 PDT 2011

Hiya!

'Twas brillig, and v sailaja at 21/07/11 06:31 did gyre and gimble:
> I Pulled the PulseAudio(0.9.22) in Poky. I ported the uImage and rootfs
> on to the Beagle board. I have /etc/asound.conf
>
> I started dbus, hal and avahi daemons and created groups also.

Please note that hal is deprecated and we use udev these days.

> unmuted the sound card
>

> amixer -c 0 cset iface=MIXER,name='Headset Playback Volume' 100
> amixer -c 0 cset iface=MIXER,name='HeadsetL Mixer AudioL1' 1
> amixer -c 0 cset iface=MIXER,name='HeadsetL Mixer AudioL2' 1
> amixer -c 0 cset iface=MIXER,name='HeadsetL Mixer Voice' 1
> amixer -c 0 cset iface=MIXER,name='HeadsetR Mixer AudioR1' 1
> amixer -c 0 cset iface=MIXER,name='HeadsetR Mixer AudioR2' 1
> amixer -c 0 cset iface=MIXER,name='HeadsetR Mixer Voice' 1

You may need to run these commands a second time... more comments below
about this.... :)

> /simple "aplay" without asound.conf is working fine./
> /
> /
> /*But aplay and paplay not woriking with the file "asound.conf" under
> /etc.*/
> /*I am not getting any errors but there is no sound while playing an
> audio file using "aplay" and "paplay"*/

Does the aplay command "work" i.e. does it take some time and then
eventually exit (the same length of time as it takes to actually play?)
This is just really me asking if the relevant alsa plugins are
definitely installed :) From the lack of error messages, I'd suspect
that yes they are, but it's worth asking :)

Also you can try using paplay as that more or less removes a bit of the
setup stuff and just talks to PA directly rather than going via
alsa+alsa-pulse plugin layer. Once paplay works, you can make sure aplay
works.

> ### Load audio drivers statically (it's probably better to not load
> ### these drivers manually, but instead use module-hal-detect --
> ### see below -- for doing this automatically)
> load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0
> load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:0

Here you are loading alsa-sink/source manually.....

> #load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
> #load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output
> source_name=input
> #load-module module-null-sink
> #load-module module-pipe-sink
>
> ### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
> .ifexists module-udev-detect.so
> load-module module-udev-detect

And here you are using udev-detect.

The two methods should not be combined. The default.pa we ship has the
alsa-sink/source lines commented out. I suspect you followed some badly
worded instructions on the PerfectSetup wiki page. I've tried to rectify
this wording the other day.

In short, if you're using udev-detect (which you should be!) then do not
load the sinks/sources manually.

> pulseaudio -vvv
>
> log is as follows

> D: alsa-mixer.c: Some paths of the device lack hardware volume control,
> disabling hardware control altogether.
> D: alsa-mixer.c: Some paths of the device lack hardware mute control,
> disabling hardware control altogether.

These two error messages are interesting. It means that we won't do much
with any of the underlying kcontrols which is obviously not good. It's
actually a problem that I (hopefully) fixed just yesterday in git
master. Fingers crossed these commits will help.

> D: alsa-sink.c: Probed mixer paths:
> D: alsa-mixer.c: Path Set 0x64240, direction=1, probed=yes
> D: alsa-mixer.c: Path analog-output (Analog Output), direction=1,
> priority=99, probed=yes, supported=yes, has_mute=no, has_volume=no,
> has_dB=no, min_volume=0, max_volume=0, min_dB=0, max_dB=0
> I: sink.c: Created sink 1 "alsa_output.platform-soc-audio.analog-stereo"
> with sample spec s16le 2ch 44100Hz and channel map front-left,front-right

As you can see the result of the above disabling of hardware volume
control means that we don't have volume, or dB info... that's likely
quite bad.

After playing things with paplay, have you checked the underlying alsa
kcontrols again? It's possible we've nuked the settings again as a
result of not supporting them. If this is the case, simply running the
amixer commands again after PA has started and it's playing may start
things working. If this is the case we can look into what is needed to
support this properly.

Hope this sheds some light on the problem.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]