[pulseaudio-discuss] NVidia HDMI output

Stephen Warren swarren at nvidia.com
Tue Jun 7 08:47:11 PDT 2011

Paul Menzel wrote at Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:17 AM:
> Am Dienstag, den 07.06.2011, 17:38 +0300 schrieb Lasse Kärkkäinen:
> > The NVidia HDMI ALSA device, present on recent hardware when the nvidia
> > driver is used, is not properly used by Pulseaudio. You need to use
> > hw:NVidia,7 (I think Pulseaudio uses hw:NVidia,3 by default), the number

Be aware that the value "7" (vs. 3, 8, or 9) depends on your GPU and which
connector your monitor is attached to, as explained in the document that
Paul linked to.

> > of channels needs to be configurable (I use six) and Alsamixer control
> > "SPDIF 1" needs to be unmuted. It may also be helpful to lock the sample
> > rate to avoid switching delays.
> >
> > load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:NVidia,7 channels=6 rate=48000  #
> > This is what I use
> >
> > All this can be done by manually specifying alsa-sink and unmuteing the
> > channel but it really should be automatic as more and more users are
> > getting these systems and thus suffer of the problem.

In Ubuntu Natty, David Henningson has implemented some profiles for Pulse
Audio which allow the end-user to select which PCM device to use within the
GPU's audio controller. That should solve your problem. I haven't yet added
this information to that document. I'm not sure what the upstream status of
those profiles is.

--
nvpublic