[pulseaudio-discuss] Suggested improvements for the raop module

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 9 02:43:49 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Bryan Gleeson at 09/06/11 07:04 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> I believe I have uncovered an underlying problem that can cause choppy
> playback/dropouts when using pulseaudio to stream to an Airport Express
> using raop. The problem is due to the hardwired configuration of the
> underlying TCP connection used to carry the audio stream between the
> pulseaudio server and the Airport Express.  Specifically

tl;dr

(although in this case the "d" stands for "did" :p)

Awesome, thanks for your analysis. I'm sure this will help smooth things
out. As it's your work, would you be able to create a git-formatted
patch such that you get the proper credit?

> One last point - are the specs for raop v1 and raop v2 published
> anywhere or have these protocols been reverse engineered?

We've been trying to reverse engineer it. Drop into #airtunes2 on
freenode and join the two others in there right now!

There is some info about the progress on the v2 protocol in the topic
there. There has been a rework of the PA roap module but I'm not sure
the timing aspect is any better. In an ideal world we would not use the
network buffer at all anyway but feed the data in properly and on time.

We also need to make it work with MP3 data now that PA can support pass
through streams, but this will be a bit trickier due to us wanting to be
able to mix streams at times... but such is the trade off of passthrough
modes :D

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]