[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio doesn't seem to find my HDMI audio card

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jun 10 03:50:52 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Marie-Noëlle Augendre at 10/06/11 11:07 did gyre and
gimble:
> I succeeded only once to do this (I have no time to go from one terminal
> to the other) and Firefox was still running at the time; the result was:
>                      UTIL.       PID ACCÈS  COMMANDE
> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   marie-noelle   7023 f...m plugin-containe
>                      marie-noelle  18217 F...m aplay
>
> So, with Firefox off, I tried with a longer .ogg file, and gets:
>                      UTIL.       PID ACCÈS  COMMANDE
> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   marie-noelle   7023 f...m plugin-containe
>                      marie-noelle  18217 F...m aplay
> (with some horrid sounds)

If you don't have time, you could simply prefix the the aplay command
with "sleep 2s;" to give yourself a little more time to prepare :D

But random data (which is what .ogg files look like to aplay) is as good
as anything for testing (even if it does sound horrible!) to that is all
fine :)

> So it means the alsa configuration is 'broken'?

Yes. It means the "default" alsa device is not mapped to the alsa-pulse
plugin.

We detail this here:
  http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#ALSAApplications
(see the section starting "If you want to make the PulseAudio driver the
default....")

That said, this is really something your distro should configure for
you, so I would very much go and complain to them and tell them that
"your default alsa device is not configured to be the alsa-pulse plugin."

Hope that helps.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]