[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems starting without X11 (git master)

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jun 13 12:00:17 PDT 2011

Hi,

Noticed a couple problems with starting PA from the console today.

1. It seems if DISPLAY is set but we cannot connect that the XCB stuff
errors out and prevents us from logging in. Not quite sure of the
symptoms yet, but I'll look into this one.

2. If we unset DISPLAY it seems that the dbus protocol will not connect.
It fails to do the DBus Launch thing and then fails with the following
message.

I: module.c: Loaded "module-position-event-sounds" (index: #17;
argument: "").
I: module.c: Loaded "module-cork-music-on-phone" (index: #18; argument: "").
E: server-lookup.c: Unable to contact D-Bus:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: /usr/bin/dbus-launch
terminated abnormally with the following error: Autolaunch error: X11
initialization failed.
I: module.c: Unloading "module-device-restore" (index: #0).
I: module.c: Unloaded "module-device-restore" (index: #0).

So it seems that the dbus protocol needs X11. Either we should move this
out of default.pa and into start-pulseaudio-x11 or find a way to init
the x11 bit of it separately.

I'd vote for the easier option for now (I want to look at the whole X11
startup thing more thoroughly after v1.0 is out to make it more robust.
Perhaps with tighter integration into consolekit (or systemd if it's
going to replace CK in the long term)).

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]