[pulseaudio-discuss] source-output-volume question

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 16 08:43:12 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and David Henningsson at 16/06/11 14:24 did gyre and gimble:
> I have a question regarding the not yet merged source-output-volume branch.
>
> Imagine a VOIP application (e g Skype) automatically adjusting input
> volume to get maximum quality on the input signal. We of course want
> that to affect hw volume. With the new branch, will flat-volumes=yes be
> a requirement for that to happen?

If they use the per-stream volume control rather than doing what they do
now (e.g. skype manipulates the source volume) then yes.

But IIRC Skype actually either disabled or recommended the user to
disable the "allow skype to adjust my mixer levels" option as it was
causing them some headaches (likely dealing with stream moves etc. was
also a pain).

So ultimately I guess the VoIP app could still do what it wants, but the
far easier option code wise in a VoIP client (if it wants to implement
AGC) is to just use the stream volumes and recommend the users keep flat
volumes enabled (which is our default recommended setup anyway).

That said, it would be kinda nice if we implemented our own AGC options,
just like we have our own echo cancellation options.

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]