[pulseaudio-discuss] Realtek ALC892 being overdriven to 153 % volume

Daniel Chen seven.steps at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 05:03:31 PDT 2011

On Jun 19, 2011 4:20 AM, "Julian Sikorski" <belegdol at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> again, this is on a Clevo P150HM laptop. When I use Fn-F5/F6 keys in
> Gnome, it is possible to get the volume up to 153 %, which sometimes
> leads to sound distortion. Is this the intended behaviour?

The current distros I see shipping GNOME don't push the "max" for volume
keys/wheel beyond "100%". If you're seeing this distortion, it looks like an
alsa-devel driver bug. We need alsa-info.sh output to diagnose this (or a
link to a bug report with said output) .

Which raises the question: should we even patch the drivers to cap at 0 dB
if we're allowing this boost?

Cheers,
-Dan